Since 1951, adult volunteers have provided meaningful service to East Texas Medical Center Tyler through the ETMC Auxiliary.
Originally primarily a women’s organization, the Auxiliary has evolved to include men, a new look in volunteer uniforms, more flexible volunteering opportunities and a new name, ETMC Tyler Volunteers.
ETMC Tyler Volunteers support the mission of ETMC by providing services with compassion, excellence and efficiency and offer vital assistance in clinical and support areas of the hospital. ETMC Tyler Volunteers raise significant funds through our ETMC Gift Shop and other fundraising initiatives. We use these charitable funds to benefit the local hospital’s programs and services.
You've gotten my attention! Who can volunteer?Anyone! Whether you are retired, working full-time or a stay-at-home mom, we have a role that fits your time and talents.
I’m excited! How can I become a volunteer?
ETMC Tyler welcomes both women and men ages18 and up as new volunteers. Our best volunteers are energetic, willing to serve and have a heart for hospital service.
To become an ETMC Tyler Volunteer, simply:
Complete an application available online and return it to the Volunteer Resources department.
Undergo a standard background check and drug screen. This is for everyone's protection within the healthcare environment.
Attend a comprehensive formal orientation.
Complete online HIPAA (privacy) training and any additional training required for your volunteer role.
In lieu of dues, make an annual financial commitment in an amount of your choice to the Scholarship fund for our graduating high school students pursuing careers in healthcare.
Discuss with the Volunteer Resources Director the area in which you would like to serve and make a commitment. Our volunteers help in several functions and facilities, including but not limited to:
- Outpatient imaging
- Patient mail
- Special events
“done in a day”
We know you’re busy, so we can tailor many other placement opportunities to suit your time and talents.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
While volunteers offer their services free of charge, they do receive many benefits:
You have a chance to learn new skills, while making new friends and developing new interests.
Volunteering at ETMC allows people to stay active and involved in the community.
Most of all, our volunteers receive the satisfaction that comes from being needed and doing something special for others.
- You receive one complimentary meal the day you volunteer.
- You park at no charge in front of the hospital.
- You receive free flu shots.
- You have access to classes just for volunteers in Fall Prevention, computer skills and more.
- Most of all, as one of our volunteers, you receive the satisfaction that comes from being needed and doing something benefical for the hospital, the community and yourself.
What are ETMC volunteers best known for?
With our caring hearts and helping hands, we are recognized at ETMC and throughout the community for:
Serving as ambassadors by representing the community within the hospital and representing ETMC within the community
- Extending ETMC's not-for-profit mission of care and focus on excellent guest relations.
- Serving as ambassadors by representing the community within the hospital and representing ETMC within the community.
- Performing tasks that lighten the load of the professional staff members, thereby allowing them to concentrate on the work they are trained to do,
- Raising funds through the ETMC Gift Shop, special fundraising projects, membership dues, memorial and honorary gifts, and other means. These charitable gifts help further ETMC's services, technology and outreach.
Interested volunteers meet for luncheons quarterly. These meetings provide information on volunteerism, education on ETMC and medical topics, and are a time of social interaction for the volunteers. In addition, the annual awards luncheon in the spring provides a time of formal recognition and appreciation for the good work of the ETMC Volunteers.
If you are interested in joining the ETMC Tyler Volunteers, please:
- Complete and submit the online application for volunteers. Go online to www.etmc.org and fill out the application found under “Volunteers” and return it by fax (903-596-3139).
- Or, for more information, call or e-mail Jacque Fowler at the Volunteer Resources department.
You can mail applications to:
P.O. Box 6400
Tyler, TX 75711